Bok Choy is known as Chinese cabbage. This cruciferous vegetable is a member of the cabbage family. It was cultivated first in China. This veggie is a well-suited for all types of a healthful diet. It is not available in every country. But every country has a bok choy substitute.
What is Bok Choy?
It is one of the famous Chinese leafy greens. About seven thousand years ago, China cultivated a few varieties of cabbages. Bok-Choy is one of them.
Its species is Brassica rapa. It has a white round bulb on the bottom with long celery-like stalks and then green leaves on the top.
The entire thing is entirely edible, and it is delicious both raw and cooked. You can cook it or eat it like salad. Bok-Choy is suitable for frying or adding in soup or salad.
What does Bok Choy taste alike?
Bok Choy is a mild veggie. It has its flavor. The taste of this cabbage is a combination of cabbage and lettuce. Steamed Bok-Choy is best to eat. When you eat it raw, it has a slightly bitter taste.
It is lighter than spinach. The green leafy on the top has a stronger flavour than the lower celery part of the cabbage. People like the texture of Bok Choy. The celery part has a peppery taste.
I have written an article on how to cut bok choy. You can see it later if you want to know. Now Just open it in another tab.
Bok Choy Nutrition and Health Benefits
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 70 grams raw Bok Choy contains:
- 156 micrograms(mcg) of vitamin A
- 31.9 mcg of vitamin K
- 46 mcg of folate
- 31.5 mg of vitamin C
- 0.13 mg of zinc
- 176 mg of potassium
- 13 mg of magnesium
- 26 mg of phosphorus
- 46 mg of sodium
- 74 mg of calcium
- 0.56 mg of iron
- Nine calories
- 0 g of cholesterol
- 1.05 g of protein
- 1.53 g of carbohydrates
- 0.067 g of polyunsaturated fat
- 0.7 g of dietary fibre
Health benefits of Bok choy-
- Protection from Cancer– Bok Choy has anti-cancer features. Researchers have found that people who eat Bok Choy regularly have a lower risk of having Cancer. Bok Choy has folate that helps to repair our DNA and prevent Cancer.
- Blood pressure– As we know, Bok Choy has calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which helps our body to decrease blood pressure.
- Bone health– Bok Choy contains vitamin K, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous. These nutrition’s help to maintain bone structure and strength.
- Heart health– This Chinese have does not contain cholesterol. It contains vitamin B-6, vitamin-C, folate, and potassium. They help to maintain a healthy heart.
- Skin– Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for skin. It produces collagen, which is the skin support system.
- Inflammation– Choline of Bok Choy helps to sleep, brain cells for learning and increasing memory, and muscle movement. It also helps to absorb fat.
- Diabetes– Studies shows that cruciferous veggies can help to maintain blood sugar level. Bok Choy is a cruciferous veggie. So, it can help to keep the sugar level.
- Immunity– Bok Choy has selenium that helps to improve the immunity system.
Why Bok Choy substitute?
As you know, Bok Choy is an Asian cabbage. It cannot found everywhere. China has cultivated it at first, so it is also known as Chinese cabbage.
This cabbage needs proper soil and care. There are many counties which cannot harvest Bok Choy. This veggie could not get found in the kitchen of urban areas.
The Bok Choy’s price is higher than its similar fibrous vegetables. So, people with a low budget cannot afford it. It is the reason that people look up to substitute Bok Choy with other kinds of cruciferous veggies.
Even they don’t taste exactly like Bok Choy. People find alternative and give up their taste because the price difference of Bok Choy and its other alternative are too much.
Best 6 Bok choy substitute
There are few substitutes for Bok Choy:
- Napa Cabbage or Patriotic Cabbage: It is the top alternative for Bok Choy. It has long green leaves like Bok Choy, and when you are stir-frying it, they retain the crispiness like Bok Choy.
- Spinach- It is the cheapest alternative of Bok Choy. Spinach will give you excellent smoothing texture. It can go with any dish like fish or soup. If you are in a hurry, spinach will save you. Boil it or fry it. You can also eat it like salad.
- Swiss chard: It substitutes Bok Choy immensely. But always remember not to cook the green leaves and stems together. Swiss chard is quite similar to Bok Choy.
- Yu Choy: This alternative belongs to the mustard family. It has a little bitterness. Add a few drops of lemon to kill its pain. It will also add flavour.
- Celery: It is not the best substitute. It has mixed impressions. But it can be used as a substitute.
- Cabbage: It has low calories and high nutrition. It is also a small budget vegetable. It is a perfect alternative for Bok Choy.
Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About “Bok choy substitute ”
u003cstrongu003eFAQ 1: What is similar to Bok Choy?u003c/strongu003e
u003cstrongu003eAnswer:u003c/strongu003e Napa cabbage is the most similar for Bok Choy. It has crispy green leaves which are full of fibre.
u003cstrongu003eFAQ 2: Can I substitute celery for Bok Choy?u003c/strongu003e
u003cstrongu003eAnswer:u003c/strongu003e Celery will not give you the proper texture and taste of Bok Choy. Bok Choy has crunch in its lower part, and the upper part is chewy. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eCelery is crunchy when you eat raw or fry or boil. But you can use it as a substitute for Bok Choy.
u003cstrongu003eFAQ 3: Can I use Bok Choy instead of cabbage?u003c/strongu003e
u003cstrongu003eAnswer: u003c/strongu003eYou can use Bok Choy instead of cabbage.
Bok Choy is a very healthy and quickly cooked veggie. But it is quite expensive because of its rareness. So, everyone cannot afford it. That is why people use Bok Choy substitutes.
It cannot cultivate everywhere. It needs proper soil and care to grow properly. People like to have Bok Choy with salads, soups, and fry items. This veggie can go with every type of salad and soup.
If you have any benefit from the article then share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to write your comment about the article.