How do You know if salmon is bad or good? So, you can stay with us and learn How to tell if Salmon is bad? And we also cover some important topics in this article: What is salmon? How does Salmon look? Difference between Wild Salmon and Farmed Salmon. Nutrition Fact of Salmon. How To Store Salmon? Health Benefits of Salmon.
What is salmon?
Salmon is a large fish that is very popular because of its rich flavour and bright colour. This pale pinkish-orange colour fish is one of the most nutritious food on the planet. It is a great source of protein, Omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin-D, calcium.
It is very delicious. Also, Salmon is exceptionally versatile. It can cook in many ways. And Salmon is very beneficial for our health.
Difference between Wild Salmon and Farmed Salmon
Salmon is a trendy fish. Millions of people around the world love to eat this fish just because of its popularity. Nowadays, huge amounts of salmon come from fish farms. There are some differences between wild salmon and farmed salmon.
First of all, their living condition is very different. Wild salmon live in the ocean freely. Humans have no control over their health, breeding, or feeding. They are free to swim.
But Farmed salmon doesn’t have that freedom to swim. Because of the crowded pens, they cannot swim very far. Farmers feed and breed them. And they are given medicines if needed
Wild salmon and Farmed salmon have a different kind of colour too. Wild salmon has a more vibrant color than farmed salmon.
It considered that Wild salmon is slightly better than farmed salmon. Because of the ratio of good-to-bad fats. But both wild and farmed salmon are a massive source of omega-3.
How does Salmon look?
Salmon is very popular because of its vibrant colour. Raw Salmon has a bright pink or orange colour. Also, have fine white lines running through it. These white lines indicate the freshness of salmon.E
What does Salmon taste-like?
Raw salmon tastes quite buttery. Because it is high in fat, It melts in the mouth. Good salmon always smells fresh. Cooked salmon tastes more like meat. It has a rich and tasty flavour.
Nutrition Fact of Salmon
100 grams of Salmon contains about:
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 3.1 g||15%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 3.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 3.8 g|
|Cholesterol 55 mg||18%|
|Sodium 59 mg||2%|
|Potassium 363 mg||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 0 g||0%|
|Dietary fiber 0 g||0%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
Resource : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_as_food
How long does Raw Salmon last?
Raw salmon lasts about 1-2 days in the fridge after purchasing. If you buy it from a store, it’s “sell-by” date on the package can expire during the storage period. But the salmon can be used after the sell-by date if it is properly stored.
How long does cooked Salmon last?
Freshly cooked Salmon will last up to 3 days in the fridge if properly stored. If you want to save it further, freeze the cooked salmon into an airtight container or freezer bag.
7 Tips : How to tell if Salmon is bad?
There are some ways to recognize bad Salmon. Raw Salmon can be stored 1-2 days in the fridge. But sometimes it can go wrong. So we can know if the salmon is terrible with some signs.
- Good Salmon has a bright pink or orange colour. On the other hand, bad Salmon will have a dull and not so vibrant colour. It will look pale and grey.
- .Good Salmon will have beautiful white lines running through it. This indicates freshness. Bad Salmon will not have these clear white lines. They will look spread.
- Good Salmon doesn’t have any strong scent. It has a fresh smell. It will kind of smell like the ocean. But bad Salmon will have a foul odour. It will smell sour and ammonia like smell.
- Good Salmon is very Firm. If you touch the flesh, it will bounce back. But if you touch a bad Salmon, it will make a dent on the meat. Kind of like play-doh.
- Bad Salmon breaks apart really easily. It has weak consistency. It can not hold it’s flesh together.
- Good Salmon will have bright eyes. But bad ones have discoloured eyes.
- On top of the bad Salmon, there will be a slimy kind of coating.
- If there is any green or black spot on the Salmon, it has undoubtedly gone bad.
How To Store Salmon?
- Rinse the Salmon with cold water.
- Pat dry it with a towel.
- Wrap the salmon with a plastic wrap. Also, wrap with foil paper before putting it into the fridge.
- In the case of cooked Salmon, store it into an airtight container or a storage bag.
Health Benefits of Salmon
- Excellent source of Lean Protein.
- It Improves brain functioning.
- Balances Blood pressure.
- It helps to lose weight.
- It Improves bone health.
- It Lowers the risk of chronic disease.
FAQ : Salmon bad or good??
How do I tell if a cooked Salmon is Bad?
Ans. It will smell foul and fishy.
How can I tell if raw Salmon has gone wrong?
Ans. It will look pale and gray.
Is there a way to tell if bad salmon has been cooked?
Ans. The fish won’t hold its flesh and will break apart.