Have you run out of coriander? Or does the coriander you have smells bad? Fear not. We got you. In this article, we will know about some substitutes for coriander. These substitutes are going to be your best friend in need.
What is Coriander?
First, you need to know what coriander is to substitute it.
Coriander is a herb that used for culinary purposes. There is a fun fact about coriander, though. In the U.S, the stems and leaves of coriander are called ‘Cilantro.’ But dried parts of this are mostly used for cooking.
It has an earthy, smoky flavor to it, which may brighten the flavor of your dish.
Difference between Coriander and Cilantro
Sometimes you may think, are coriander and cilantro the same thing? Well, the answer is no. And yes, at the same time. Both came from the same plant.
The fresh leaves and stems are known as cilantro. However, the seeds are called coriander. It means when people ask for coriander; they mean the seeds. And not the whole plant.
Substitute for Coriander
The dried seeds are known as coriander; these used to flavor dishes. You can use coriander in two ways. Either you can use the whole coriander seed. Or you can use them grounded. It is known that ground coriander has more flavor than the whole seeds.
Substitutes of both Coriander Seeds and Ground Coriander are given below:
1. Coriander Seed substitute:
Coriander seeds are small rounded. They are Kelly green colored. The flavor of coriander seeds is slightly nutty. It gives the dishes a unique flavor. The substitutes for coriander seed are Caraway seed, Cumin seed, and Fennel seed.
- Caraway Seed: The flavor of caraway seed and coriander seed is very similar. It is an ideal substitute. It’s a herb that belongs to the Apiaceae family. The earthy, sweet flavor of it has a similar flavor as coriander. But not entirely the same. So try using a small amount first. Then add more if needed.
- Cumin Seed: Cumin is a very known spice. It comes from the Cuminum cyminum plant, which has a nutty, spicy taste. It also has a very beautiful aroma. Cumin is also known as ‘Geerah.’ The taste of cumin seed is somewhat different than coriander seed. It is more strong and not an ideal substitute. But does the job. Try using a little bit at first. Then add more if you need it.
- Fennel Seed: The seed of the fennel plant is called ‘Fennel Seed.’ It has a sweet and warm flavor. It works as a good substitute for coriander seed. However, the flavor of both of them is not entirely the same. Use the same amount of fennel seed as coriander seed.
2. Ground Coriander Substitute:
Ground Coriander is grounded coriander seeds. They are more flavorful than the whole seeds. The substitutes of ground coriander are Curry Powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, etc.
- Curry Powder: Curry powder is a mixer of different kinds of herbs and spices. Coriander is one of them. It is present in the curry powder. However, the flavor of curry powder and just ground coriander is a lot different. Curry powder has a powerful flavor. So you have to be careful about the amount you use. If you use 1 tsp of ground coriander, then use ½ tsp of curry powder.
- Garam Masala: Garam masala is a prevalent spice in India. It is a mixer of different kinds of spices. It contains a lot of bold spices, such as clove, cinnamon, peppercorn, cardamom, cumin, and coriander. So garam masala is stronger than ground coriander. So you need to use it carefully. For one teaspoon of ground coriander, use ¾ of a teaspoon of garam masala.
- Cumin Powder: Previously, we substituted cumin seeds for coriander seeds. But we can also use cumin powder as ground coriander substitute. The flavor of these is slightly different. So use a little bit at first. Then add more if you need it.
Health Benefits of Coriander
Coriander has some great health benefits. Some are given below:
- It has anti-cancer effects.
- It is a remedy for pain and inflammation.
- It does improve skin health.
- It has anti-fungal substances.
- It may help to lower blood pressure.
- It has immune-boosting antioxidants.
- It may benefit heart health.
- It may improve the digestion system.
- It is easy to add to your diet.
Now we have seen a decent amount of substitutes. Which substitute you need to use depends on the recipe. So try to use them accordingly. And Voila! You are good to go.
Looking to learn more? 10 Best Substitute for Oyster Sauce
People also ask questions:
1. What can you use to substitute for fresh coriander?
Ans. You can use fresh basil to substitute fresh coriander but the flavor will not be the same.
2. What other spices can you substitute for ground coriander?
Ans. You can use Curry powder, Garam Masala, or Cumin powder as the substitutes for ground coriander.
3. What is ground coriander?
Ans. Ground coriander is just grounded coriander seeds.