Chili powder has been used in cooking for many years. It is used to make spicy dishes. Chili powder makes meals very flavorful. Also, it gives a beautiful color to the dish.
Chili powder used to make savory dishes. Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. are very fond of spices. They use chili powder in every one of their savory dishes.
1. What is Chili Powder?
Chilli powder is a variety of chilis that dried and then grounded. It is very ground and has a bright red color. Chili powder is very spicy.
Many people can think that it is normal, grounded dried chilis. But it is not. It also has some other spices mixed with it, such as cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. This powder enhances the flavor of any dish. That is why it is such a popular spice all around the world.
Health Benefits of Chili Powder
- Boosts Metabolism
- Reduces Cancer risk
- Helps with Osteoarthritis
- Settles the Stomach
- Fights fat
- Builds Immunity
2. Why Substitute for Chili Powder?
Chili powder is a common spice that can find it in grocery stores. Many savory dishes need chili powder. But when you are following the recipe of a dish, and you notice that you ran out of chili powder. What can you do then? Don’t worry. You can use some substitutes for chili powder.
That is why substitutions are beneficial.
3. Substitute for Chili Powder
- Crushed Red pepper flakes: A bottle of red pepper flakes is ubiquitous in every kitchen. You can use this instead of chili powder by grind these flakes. This powder may be a little bit hotter than chili powder. So try to use a Lil bit less amount than chili powder.
- Paprika: Paprika has a chili pepper base. It is a substitute of chili powder. The spice range is like cayenne pepper. So you have to be careful about the amount you use in your dish. Sometimes, there are some other spices in it. So it might change the flavor of your meal a little bit.
- Cayenne powder: Cayenne powder is an excellent substitute for chili powder. It is hot chili pepper. The good thing is, the cayenne powder is as hot as chili powder. So use an equal amount of cayenne powder as chili powder.
- Hot Sauce: Hot sauce is also a fantastic substitute for chili powder. It is sweltering. So you have to use a few drops of hot sauce in your dish. And you are good to go.
- Ancho Powder: Ancho powder consists of ground poblano peppers. It has a kick to it. It also has a slight sweetness in it. It is an excellent substitute for chili powder. It is hotter than chili powder. So use half the amount that recipe calls for.
4. Chipotle Chili Powder Substitutes
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika has an earthy smoke flavor, just like chipotle chili powder. It is an excellent substitute for chipotle chili powder. Both smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder are made from smoked chilis.
- Chili powder: Chili powder is a primary ingredient. It is effortless to find. Also, it is an excellent substitution of chipotle chili powder. It contains cumin, oregano, garlic powder, etc. So, it gives a similar flavor as chipotle chili powder.
- Ancho Chili Powder: Ancho chili powder is made from dried poblano peppers. It has a very similar flavor as chipotle chili powder. Both of these consist of dried peppers.
5. New Mexico Chili Powder substitute
- California Chili: California chili is an excellent substitute for new Mexico chili powder. But it is not as hot as New Mexico chili powder. So you have to use slightly more than the recipe calls for.
- Ancho Chili Powder: Anco chili powder is a fantastic substitute. It is made from dried poblano peppers. It is hotter than the California chilies and also more flavorful. Use the same amount as the new Mexico chili powder.
6. Chili powder Recipe
Chili powder is effortless to make. It is just a spice blend.
You need paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano, and some ground cumin.
Combine all the ingredients an mix them if you want them more finely ground. Then grind the mixture into your grinder until it is properly grounded. Store in a sealed container for up to 1 year.
Substitutions are essential. It gives you some options when you don’t have the exact ingredient. In this article, we saw some fantastic substitutes for chili powder, which we can use when we don’t have chili powder in our hands.
1. What can you substitute for Chili powder?
Ans. You can substitute ancho powder, paprika, hot sauce, cayenne powder for chili powder.
2. Can I use Chili powder as a substitute for paprika?
Ans. Yes, you can use chili powder as a substitute for paprika. They both are very similar.
3. What are the ingredients in Chili powder?
Ans. There are some ingredients in chili powder. Those are cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and cayenne powder.